WHO has commissioned an independent panel to review all aspects of its response to the Ebola outbreak, in keeping with a resolution passed during the Ebola Special Session of the Executive Board in January 2015.
Dame Barbara Stocking, the president of Murray Edwards College, University of Cambridge, UK, and the former chief executive of Oxfam GB, will chair the panel. Other panel members include:
- Professor Jean-Jacques Muyembe-Tamfun, director-general of the National Institute for Biomedical Research, Democratic Republic of the Congo;
- Dr. Faisal Shuaib, head of the National Ebola Emergency Operations Center, Nigeria;
- Dr. Carmencita Alberto-Banatin, independent consultant and advisor on health emergencies and disasters, Philippines;
- Professor Julio Frenk, dean of the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health.
- Professor Ilona Kickbusch, director of the Global Health Programme at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva, Switzerland.
The panel’s first report is expected in May 2015.