Birthday Blast

Maybe you were skeptical of the 5-second rule. Maybe you consider double-dipping an actual crime. So how is it that you’re fine with eating cake misted with bacteria?
 
That’s right: when your friends blow out their birthday candles, they’re sharing not only this magical experience but also their saliva with you. According to a study in the Journal of Food Research, “Blowing out the candles over the icing surface resulted in 1400% more bacteria compared to icing not blown on.”
 
Fortunately, most of these bacteria are harmless and shouldn’t ruin any parties. Just hold your fork if the birthday boy or girl has the sniffles.
 
Source: The Atlantic

Comments +

0 comments

Post a Comment

Restricted HTML

  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Back to top