Countries should fight public health threats with the same vigor they use to tackle terrorism, WHO warns in a roundup of the top health challenges of the next decade.
Highlights from the list (in no particular order):
- Addressing the health crisis of climate change
- Expanding access to medicines
- Delivering health care in conflict areas
- Shielding people from dangerous products
- Addressing the top killers of adolescents, such as road injury and suicide.
Addressing these challenges “is ultimately a political choice” that goes far beyond the health sector, notes WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.