The Novavax COVID-19 vaccine has shown high efficacy—90.4% overall—against the disease in its Phase 3 trial, the company announced today.
The not-yet-peer-reviewed results:
- 93% efficacy against predominantly circulating variants of concern/interest
- 91% efficacy in high-risk populations
- 100% efficacy against variants “not considered variants of concern/interest”
The study enrolled nearly 30,000 participants in nearly 120 sites in the US and Mexico to test the recombinant nanoparticle protein-based COVID-19 vaccine, named NVX-CoV2373.
Novavax’s to-do list:
- Submit the full trial data for publication in a peer-reviewed journal
- File with drug regulators including the FDA for regulatory authorization in the third quarter
- Produce 100 million doses/month by the end of the third quarter, up to 150 million/month by the end of 2021.
The Quote: “It’s really very impressive,” NIAID director Anthony S. Fauci, told The Washington Post: “It’s very important for the world’s population to have, yet again, another highly efficacious vaccine that looks in its trial to have a good safety profile.”