Africa’s COVID-19 deaths hit a record high for the week ending August 1, the WHO Regional Office for Africa reports.
- 6,400+ deaths (a 2% rise compared with the week prior)
- Cases rose 19% to 278,000+
- South Africa and Tunisia accounted for the most—over 55%—of the fatalities
- Death trends climbing in 15 countries
With a third wave still rising on the continent, “it’s a sad day for Africa,” said WHO’s Phionah Atuhebwe.
Africa has received 91 million COVID-19 vaccine doses so far.
- Deliveries ticked up in late July—but still, just 1.7% of Africa’s population—~24 million—are fully immunized.
- Several big vaccine shipments are due in September, requiring comprehensive distribution strategies.
Vaccine hesitancy: In countries like the DRC, rampant misinformation is dissuading even health workers from getting the shots, The Guardian reports.