The Untold Global Health Stories of 2020 Contest
Nominations Open - July 31, 2019
Nominations Deadline - September 30, 2019
Judging Complete - October 30, 2019
Winner Notified - November 15, 2019
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. Sponsors. The 2020 Untold Stories of Global Health Contest (the “Contest”) is sponsored by (i) the Consortium of Universities for Global Health (“CUGH”); (ii) Global Health NOW, from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (“GHN”); and (iii) National Public Radio, Inc. (“NPR”) (collectively, the “Sponsors”).
2. The Contest. The Contest is an idea submission contest offering the opportunity for individuals to compete for free registration to attend the 2020 Annual CUGH Global Health Conference in Washington, DC. By participating in this Contest, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by Sponsors’ decisions, which are final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest.
3. Eligibility. The Contest is open to individuals who are at least eighteen (18) years of age at the time of entry (each, an “Entrant”). Void in any location where prohibited or restricted by law. Entrants who are not legal residents of the United States agree to be solely responsible for any legal obligation or liability, whether incurred by Entrant or by Sponsors, that may arise out of Entrant’s participation in the Contest as a resident or citizen of any non-U.S. country.
4. How to Enter. To enter the Contest, an Entrant must complete the form (the “Submission Form”) available at [https://docs.google.com/forms/d/14LnFoqjLz_pmLPRva5DoEKVNyKGPQhmgTDIGIYUnRtE/viewform?edit_requested=true]. On the Submission Form, an Entrant must provide: (i) Entrant’s name; (ii) a valid e-mail address; (iii) Entrant’s home city and country; (iv) Entrant’s nomination of an important global health story that has been largely overlooked by international news media; (v) a brief statement (of no more than 150 words) describing the nomination and explaining why it deserves more coverage; and (vi) the name of an organization that Entrant is professionally or academically affiliated with, if any. Each completed Submission Form constitutes a “Submission.”
Submissions must be received between 12:00 a.m. E.D.T. on July 31, 2019, and 11:59 p.m. E.D.T. on September 30, 2019. Sponsors are not responsible for late or unsuccessful attempts to enter. Each Entrant may only submit one (1) Submission. All Submissions must be made in accordance with these Official Rules; no other method of entry will be accepted.
5. Judging. The judging period begins on September 30, 2019, and ends on October 30, 2019. There will be two rounds of judging. Initially, all Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of preliminary judges selected in Sponsors’ sole discretion, consisting primarily of employees from CUGH, GHN, and NPR. Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
60% - Newsworthiness | 20% - Creativity | 20% - Feasibility
The preliminary judges will select approximately twelve (12) Submissions to be finalists. A panel of at least four (4) judges selected in Sponsors’ sole discretion, including representatives from each of the Sponsors, will then judge these finalists and select two (2) winning Submissions based on the same criteria.
6. Winner Notification and Announcement. Each Winner will be notified by e-mail (via the address listed on the Submission Form) on or about December 15, 2019. The Winners will be publicly announced at the 2020 Annual CUGH Global Health Conference on or about April 18-20, 2020.
7. Prize. Two (2) grand prize winners (each, a “Winner”) will each receive free registration for one (1) Entrant to attend the 2019 Annual CUGH Global Health Conference in Washington, DC, taking place between April 18, 2020, and April 20, 2020 (the “Conference”). The actual value of each Prize is Six Hundred U.S. Dollars ($600).p> All travel-related fees and expenses, including but not limited to: (i) a Winner’s travel costs to attend the Conference; (ii) a Winner’s lodging costs during the Conference; and (iii) a Winner’s meals during the Conference are solely the responsibility of such Winner
As a condition of receiving a prize, each Winner must sign and return any documents requested by Sponsors, including, but not limited to, an affidavit of eligibility and publicity/liability release. Failure to sign and return any requested documents by the specified return date will result in disqualification of that Winner and the forfeiture of all interest in the prize. If required by applicable law, a Winner will be issued an IRS Form 1099 in the amount of the actual retail value of the prize and must provide Sponsor with his or her valid Social Security Number or Taxpayer ID for tax reporting purposes. Payment of any and all of a Winner’s applicable taxes related to the Contest is the sole responsibility of such Winner.
8. Acknowledgment of Rights; Representations and Warranties. In consideration of Entrant’s Submission being reviewed and evaluated for this Contest, Entrant acknowledges that Sponsors may use the Submission and underlying idea in all manner and media for any purpose worldwide, and that Sponsors have the right to authorize third parties to do so. Under no circumstances will an Entrant receive royalties or any other form of compensation (other than as described in Section 7 above) regardless of Sponsors’ use of a submitted idea. By entering the Contest, each Entrant represents that his or her Submission is original; does not violate anybody’s intellectual property or other rights; and is neither libelous, unlawful, nor misleading.
9. General Terms and Conditions. Sponsors reserve the right to terminate, modify, or suspend this Contest for any cause beyond its control. Sponsors will not be obligated to award any prize that relates to or arises out of improper or mistaken prize notification, operation, or function of this Contest. Sponsors reserve the right to change any term of these Official Rules or to address any issue that arises with updates or amendments to these Official Rules at any time up to the date that Winners are selected.
All decisions by Sponsors and Contest judges are final and binding.
10. Release and Limitation of Sponsors’ Liabilities. As a condition of entering, each Entrant agrees (and agrees to confirm in writing if requested by Sponsors): (a) to forever discharge, release, and hold harmless the Sponsors and their respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, employees, and representatives from any and all claims, liabilities, injuries, losses, damages, cause of action, suits, and demands of any kind arising from or in connection with the Contest or any prize awarded in the Contest or its use, however caused; (b) that under no circumstances will Entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and Entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, indirect, special, exemplary, or consequential damages; (c) that any and all claims, judgments, and awards relating to the Contest or any prize awarded or its use shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, excluding attorneys’ fees and court costs; and (d) that Entrant is solely and individually responsible for any liability or cost incurred in Entrant’s country of residency or citizenship as a result of Entrant’s participation in this Contest.
11. Governing Law. This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the State of Maryland without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the State of Maryland.
13. Winners. To receive the identity of the Winners, available after December 15, 2019, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope for receipt by January 15, 2020, to: “2019 Untold Stories of Global Health Contest – Winner Identification,” ATTN: Office of the General Counsel, c/o National Public Radio, Inc., 1111 North Capitol Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002.